Volunteering plays an important role in our communities. It brings people together, lets people share their skills and knowledge, creates new activities, and brings about opportunities that may not have existed otherwise.
If you’re not looking for a career with LiveWest but would like to get involved with our work, why not think about volunteering?
Why do people volunteer?
The National Council of Voluntary Organisations (NCVO) have identified a number of reasons why people volunteer. These include:
• Giving something back to an organisation that has impacted a person's life, either directly or indirectly.
• Making a difference in the lives of others.
• Help others less fortunate or without a voice.
• Gain confidence and self-esteem.
For some people, volunteering can lead to a full time job, or be a chance to try something new which might lead to a career change. So, volunteering can be a way of:
• Gaining and developing skills, knowledge, and experience.
• Enhancing a CV and improving employment prospects.
• Gaining accreditation.
• Using professional skills and knowledge to benefit others.
• Meeting new people and making new friends.
• A chance to socialise.
• Getting to know the local community.
Why is LiveWest promoting volunteering?
In the last year, we had over 200 young people and adults putting something back into their community and donating 8,000 hours of their time to do something worthwhile for free. In fact, our communities are so good at dedicating their time and energy, that our Appetite for Change Timebanking partnership was recognised nationally in 2015 for its innovation, impact, and inspiration to others.
All of this sits well with what we are about. We’re not just about building houses but helping to grow great communities and give something back.
How to get involved
For volunteering opportunities in Plymouth contact Abbie Lewis, Volunteer Coordinator on either firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01752 275 271.